Thursday, December 6, 2007

Where Were Our Armed Citizens?

I don't need to post any links on this situation as it's been all over the news and the blogs today already.
Some disturbed kid took an SKS and went out in a "blaze of glory".

Ok, Now as I read the accounts of the frightened customers and employees I have to ask one question:

Why didn't someone take him out?

The answer, of course, is obvious. Noone was armed but the crazy kid. Ok, why are we all so afraid of the idea that as a citizen it is our right to protect ourself. What is wrong with a good, law-abiding, citizen to carry a sidearm? Years of leftist propaganda that's why.
It's ingrained in our psyche that if you carry a gun you must want to shoot someone with it. It's just a time-bomb waiting to go off.

Ok, the kid killed 8 people and wounded 5 others. I believe the estimated number of rounds was 35-40 that witnesses heard...easily corroborated with spent brass I'm sure.

Now, we have a 19 year old kid, dressed in fatigues and walks into the mall with an assault rifle.

WTF, over? Where was mall security? The kid obviously had no training, and where the hell did he acquire an SKS? I know they're not all that expensive and relatively easy to find. But an emotionally distraught kid who got kicked out of his house and couldn't hold down a job...I still have to ask, where the hell did he get an SKS? Did he save his pennies for years for it? or did he get it illegally?

This is one more feather in the cap of the leftist anti-gun whackjobs. I hope someone clarifies the details surrounding this before people start screaming gun-control again.

Now, as a compassionate human being, I think it's really just a sad case. The kid was obviously disturbed.

But.

One thing alot of folks don't understand is that despite the tragedy, what he did was wrong, it's not the gun's fault that all those people died and got wounded. Far worse things happen all over the world and noone pays it much mind.
The killer was not the gun.
period.
It was the kid.
Ok off my pro 2nd amndment soapbox...for now.

My prayers and condolences to all the victims and their families. Godspeed.

No comments: