Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A bit of introspection...

I received this in an email today. Makes you wonder...

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America..." so starts the Pledge of Allegiance. Just now, without thinking about it, most of you finished that sentence with "and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." I know that the words are ingrained in my head as I, like most of you, was required to recite the Pledge of Allegiance each morning in school. At the time, the words weren't that meaningful and it was more of a routine than anything. As I grew older, I realized the true meaning of the words I had been saying for all those years and have sworn my pledge of allegiance to our country with heartfelt pride every since.


The requirement to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in our schools is routinely criticized and legally challenged. The courts have time and again ruled that students do not have to recite the pledge in public schools nor will they be punished for not doing so. On September 14, Fox News reported that various First Amendment advocates are arguing that educators should be compelled to inform children that the decision to recite the Pledge of Allegiance is entirely up to them. Really? Well, I hope these same First Amendment advocates realize that the decision to live in this country is entirely up to them too. Foreign nationals are required to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in order to complete the naturalization process to become U.S Citizens and yet people that are born here are fighting to not have to say it? What is that old saying?
Oh yeah....USA Love It or Leave It.


Well said Mac.


...

No comments: